If you want to build your own magic mirror, you will need :
- a Raspberry Pi Model B, 512 Mb with a nice white plastic case
- an USB keyboard
- an USB mouse
- a screen
- an USB webcam. I used Logitech HD Webcam C270 (720p, but works fine only at 320×240 resolution).
- I strongly recommend a powered usb switch : RPI internal current is limited to 700mA. Strange behavior appears when I connected 3 USB devices (using internal keyboard usb port), like key repetition.
- a SDHC card. Mine is a Lexar 8Gb but 4Gb is enough.
- powered external computer speaker (3.5 mm connector)
- an ethernet cable (for installation)
- a nice mirror (best if rectangle, to support webcam on its top)(best if wooden mirror to do like “White Snow” 😉
At this stage, tell your girlfriend you’re going to disappear for a while, but that 42 is still the answer. So, she must not panic.